Monday, October 26, 2009

Evolution

For as long as I know I always wanted to make things work well. Even if it was a small plug that needed some new wires and isolation, or some stuff related to plumbing I always tried my best to make it as good as possible. And most of the time I succeeded. I always thought that this is a good way to evolve.

Now I'm an software engineer and my basic way of thinking is not too different from the one I had before, which I consider to be a good thing.

What happens when I'm somehow forced to choose a solution that does not satisfy me, that is recognized not to be a (very?) good choice, but it is the only one given the constraints (time being the no. 1 constraint most of the time)?

I know that compromises have to be made but given the fact that I develop software for safety critical equipments [public transportation to be more precise] I consider these kind of compromises trully life threatening. Since when time-to-market is more important than human life?

Is it that money rule everything and people just don't care enough about anything else?

I accept that I'm payed for doing that job and that's it, but there is some part of me telling that I can/should do more.

I may be exagerating or software engineering is not the choice that I should've made. Time will tell.

No comments: